There are a couple of things to consider prior to your departure, don’t worry we have you sorted. You just need to show up on Padang Airport and we take you from there.
How many days you recommed to stay on the Mentawai Islands?
From one week so you can get the most of your trip, 2 weeks would be ideal so you get more than one swell and a few barrels, also the Mentawai Surf Tax is for 14 days.
Also remember that you need to arrive to Padang one day before taking the Mentawai fast ferry as it departs at 7 am. Also it’s better to flight out the following date from your arrival to Padang from the Ments as according to their schedule the arriving time it’s at 6pm but it can take longer and you don’t want to miss your flight.
What do I need to pack for my trip?
Pack as light as possible, you don’t need to much here except for:
- Spare fins and leash
- Mosquito repellent
- Your favorite surfboard and a spare one (you can bring more if you like)
What type of health precautions should I take?
- Get a travel insurance.
- Most travelers usually update their tetanus and hepatitis shots before traveling to any remote region of the world.
- Malaria is a reality in some parts of Indonesia including the Mentawai Islands; consult your doctor for more information.
- If you take a prescription medication make sure you bring the necessary paperwork that goes with it in case of an emergency.
- If you are prone to seasickness please bring something to counteract its effects such as dramamine or bonine.
- For more information please consult your doctor.
How long can I stay in Indonesia?
Most of the countries can get a Visa on arrival for 30 days, it’s always good to check out with your local Indonesian Embassy your travel requirements.
How much money do I need to take?
You need to pay the Mentawai Surf Tax that’s 1,000,000 Rp. (around US75). You will have to also sort out your accommodation in Padang, we pick you up from the airport and drop you in your hotel and next morning take you to Mentawai fast ferry, same as when you are back from your trip. Mentawai Fast cost 295.000 Rp. (around US25) plus surfboard (15 kg it’s 230.000 Rp.)
Always good to bring Bintang money as they are not included in your package price.
Do you have a photographer available?
For big groups we can bring a photographer, it’s a good idea to bring at thleast a 8GB flash drive to take them. This service has an additional price depending of for how long it is. We have a few partners that have onsite photographer, please ask us more info.
Do You have power at the camps/ Accommodation?
Most of them only have power during the night but good enought to charge your devices and get the fans on.
Do you have internet?
Some of our accommodation do have internet, others you need to pay extra for a package of data and otherss don’t but you can buy data in nearby camps. There isn’t really 3G reception on the Islands. Keep in mind that internet isn’t as good as back home.